GRAID™ stands for Gas Robotic Agile Inspection Device. GRAID is a robotic non-destructive inspection system for high pressure 100barg non-piggable gas transmission pipes such as Above Ground Installations (AGI).
GRAID™ is a world first and is currently operated and used by National Grid Gas Transmission.
GRAID™ is launched into the AGI system via a pig trap valve entry system. This allows the robot to be pressurised up to 100barg and then driven into the pipework for operation. Control is from a secure container away from the access point. GRAID has a 100m tether (future development will extend this to 500m) and special patented magnetic tracks that allow it to travel and operate within the 100bar gas line. The articulated 2-part robot can negotiate bends and tee pieces and can climb a 45-degree incline within the network.
Current Non-Destructive inspection is carried out by an EMAT system with further development underway using the latest in NDT.
- GRAID™ significantly reduces the risk of NDT on buried AGIs.
- GRAID™ significantly reduces the cost of NDT on buried AGIs.
- GRAID™ can re-life buried transmission assets at a fraction of the cost of traditional methods.
- GRAID™ provides a platform to do more inside 100bar pipes.
- GRAID™ is currently available for 36” to 48” pipes.
Please contact us for the development timeline on the 16” to 24” GRAID™ Robot.