CaPEX® is a simple kit for the replacement or exchange of caps or plugs on pipework systems on live gas service pipes with valves.
CaPEX® is a kit that allows caps and plugs that are on live gas service pipes to be replaced within a gas controlled environment with a stopper. The kit then uses the standard M-CEX equipment to install a new emergency control valve onto the pipework or allow the pipework to be extended.
The standard kits are for ¾” and 1” BSP pipework, but ½” to 2” specials can be made to order.
We enclose the pipework with the cap or the socket, tee or elbow with the plug providing a gas-tight enclosure and a new temporary valve. The cap and plug can then be removed under no-gas conditions. A stopper can be inserted into the pipework, or a barrel nipple can be inserted with a stopper in place into the socket tee or elbow. Then to complete the operation it is simply an M-CEX procedure.
This innovative system offers two methods of exchange:
- The CaPEX® tool comprises a plastic-bodied valve and gland assembly and is approved to UK gas industry standards for use up to 75mbar.
- The CaPEX® bag system is a transparent laminated plastic bag system and is approved to UK gas industry standards for use up to 50mbar.
Key benefits include:
- Specifically designed for operation in restricted areas.
- Significant reduction in the time consumers are off gas.
- Avoids the need for planned maintenance operations to isolate pipework systems particularly in multi-occupancy environments.
- Considerably reduces operational costs.
Why would you use CaPEX®?
CaPEX® allows a customer to have their plug or cap replaced with a valve (or pipework extended) in a simple and fast operation, eliminating the need for external excavation, riser re-testing and isolation of other properties within a multi-occupancy building. CaPEX® allows network operators to meet their legal requirements of providing a customer with a network point connection within two weeks if gas is already present within the property.
CaPEX® can also allow Live / Dead checks to be carried out safely to ascertain if the pipe is still in useable or a new pipe installation is required.
Where can CaPEX be used?
The following matrix highlights the different access fittings, sizes, pressures, and permutations.
Please note local network approvals vary against network operational procedures.
|Size||Standard / Special||CaPEX® Tool
|CaPEX® Tool 50mbar||Caps||Plugs|
|1 ¼” BSP||Special||✔||X||✔||✔|
|1 ½” BSP||Special||✔||X||✔||✔|